Our alcohol detox Panama City rehabilitation center has helped many through this difficult process. During our admissions process we compile useful and critical information that help us treat drug and alcohol addiction problems. One of the areas with the biggest concern is the alcohol detoxification process.
Alarmingly, many people think that this process is safe and there are usually no life-threatening issues. This is very alarming with our qualified physicians. Let’s be clear here, alcohol detox should always be performed under medical supervisions. While it’s true you may go through this process with no problems, it’s not a safe process to do this unsupervised by a qualifies physician.
We will explain some of these issues and some of the ways a doctor can reduce the painful alcohol withdrawal symptoms. There are several prescription drugs that doctors can use that make this process as comfortable as possible. You will get an understanding of the alcohol detox timeline and what to expect.
Our Alcohol Detox Panama City Process
The first step in treating alcoholism starts with the detoxification process. Usually during the admissions process you have a rough draft of a treatment plan. This recovery plan will most likely change during the impatient process.
The effects of alcohol withdrawal can be felt as early as 2 hours after the last drunk. The most painful alcohol withdrawal symptoms are usually over after one week. While the detox timeline varies depending on the individual, you can use this as a guideline.
- Alcohol withdrawal symptoms experienced during the first 6-12 Hours – Individuals will start to feel some mild withdrawal symptoms. They can expect to get mild headaches, uncontrollable shaking, increase anxiety, nausea and become easily irritability.
- 12-24 hours – You can expect an increase in the symptoms for the first 12 hours. In addition, be ready for hallucinations and panic attacks.
- Day 2 – As in the previous 24 hours you will experience an increase in the symptoms from day one. The withdrawal symptoms have become much more intense. The body is trying to deal with not having its’ required alcohol intake.
- Days 3-7 During the alcohol Withdrawal Process Are the highest Risk of Life-threatening Situations – This is where the painful withdrawal is at its’ height. Individuals will receive waves of intense symptoms. It is here where life-threatening delirium tremens can occur.
- After 7 Days of Alcohol Detox – Most of the withdrawal symptoms begin to subside. A qualified physician can continue to treat the remaining minor symptoms with proven medications. However, sometimes individuals are not out of the woods. Sometimes people will experience post-acute withdrawal syndrome or PAWS. Usually these include difficulty sleeping, anxiety, decreased energy levels, and delayed reflexes.
What Medications Can Doctors Use to Reduce Withdrawal During the Alcohol Detox Process
The doctors at our alcohol detox centers in Panama City are highly specialized. They have some tools that will help reduce the painful withdrawal from alcohol. Repeatedly performing an at home self-detox can put a fear in many individuals. The anticipation of the pain is often an obstacle from people getting proper alcohol addiction treatment. It must also be said that they were lucky not to have an life=threatening situations by doing a self-detox. Beside having a safe detoxification process, physicians can surprisingly make the process a lot more comfortable. Some of the FDA approved prescription medications include;
- Benzodiazepines or benzos – This withdrawal easing drug calms the central nervous system. It reaches the GABA neurotransmitter receptor causing sedative reactions. It can help you sleep, reduce anxiety, and relax the muscles. A physician can prescribe it in a short or long acting form. Some of the more common names of benzos are Chlordiazapoxide, Librium, Valium, diazepam. Klonopin, and Ativan.
- Naltrexone – The withdrawal drug is used to reduce cravings during an alcohol detox. However, you must stop alcohol use for 7 days prior to using this drug. Naltrexone blacks the effects of consuming alcohol. This drug can be administered orally (ReVia, and Depade), or with an injectable drug under the name of Vivitrol.
- Campral – This alcohol detoxification drug is used for long-term heavy drinkers. After many years of drinking it considerably alters the brain. This drug also known as Acamprosate allows the brain to operate normally again and reduces alcohol cravings. There has been some positive research that shows it can also reduce post-acute withdrawal syndrome PAWS syndrome.
- Disulfiram also Known as Antabuse – This FDA approved alcohol withdrawal drug creates very unpleasant reactions to any alcohol consumption. Some of the side effects may include tingly feelings, sweating, weight gain, vomiting, headache and blurred vision.
The Seriousness of Alcohol Detox Without Medical Supervision
Any alcohol detox whether supervised or at home can become life threatening. The difference being that a qualified medical professional has the tools to save a life. Many people think that since they’ve been through the process before that nothing can go wrong. Life threatening situations occur more often with individuals with a history of alcohol withdrawal. The very serious alcohol withdrawal affects are known as alcohol withdrawal syndrome (AWS).
AWS often occur between 6-24 hours after discontinuation of alcohol use. at the very beginning of detoxification. When this occurs under a medically supervised alcohol detox a doctor administers benzodiazepines. Under the most severe conditions an intensive care unit with the use of barbiturates or propofol be prescribed. Other medications that may be used in include;
- beta blockers
- sodium oxybate
What Are Some Serious Situations Resulting from Alcohol Detox?
Delirium tremens or DT’s is the most severe situation resulting from alcohol withdrawal. This causes altered mental states of confusion and hyperactivity that can lead to cardiovascular collapse. Generally the symptoms of serious situation from alcohol withdrawal include;
- Visual and, or audio hallucinations
- Complete body tremors
- Repeated vomiting
- High blood pressure
- Sensitivity to light
The most serious symptoms of delirium tremens to look for are seizures, confusion and audio or visual hallucinations. If these are not treated quickly and correctly it could result in physical trauma and metabolic issues.
- Low electrolyte levels – This can cause cardiac situations like arrhythmias, heart attacks and sudden death.
- Hypophosphatemia or low level of phosphate – This can lead to the stopping of breathing functions, or a coma.
- Metabolic derangements – This can stop the heart and lungs from working. This situation can occur with heavy alcohol consumption users, or after a seizure episode during alcohol withdrawal.
- Alcohol ketoacirosis – is a metabolic complication that can occur during alcohol detoxification. Some of the symptoms may include severe abdominal pain, an unusual fruity smell, vomiting, and an abnormal respiratory rate. A complication of this could be sudden death.
Alcohol Detox is Only the First Step to Escape Alcoholism
As our alcohol detox Tallahassee client learn there are proven evidence-based ways to get addiction under control. Alcohol detox as painful as it can be is only the first step. Some people think that the horrible experience of detoxification is enough to get someone to stop drinking. Unfortunately, alcoholism is a lifelong disease. However, this does not mean you cannot live a normal life. There are many people that have their alcoholism under control.
After this feared detox process individuals usually enter our residential inpatient drug rehab facility. This usually can last 30, 60 or 90-days. However, sometimes individuals can remain in this level of care for a year. The inpatient level of care is a critical stage. It is here where you learn about your individual relationship with addiction. You start to get an understanding of why and how you got to this point.
In the process of residential care, you will get a detailed treatment plan. Under residential care you will get individual and group counseling by credentialed substance abuse counselors. During these sessions you will learn about co-occurring disorders. Many times, addiction comes with other behavioral health issues like;
- Bipolar disorder
- Bulimia and anorexia
Alcohol Detox Panama City Beach Provides Relapse Prevention and 12-Step Methodology
One of the most important things you learn from our alcohol detox Panama City Beach program is relapse prevention strategies. Embedded into this is getting engaged and understanding the 12-steps. During the recovery process at our rehabilitation center these valuable tools will help you sustain long-term recovery.
The most common of the 12-steps is alcoholics anonymous. Studies have shown that addiction treatment, medication assisted treatment (MAT) and 12-step programs increase the success rates. According to American society of Addiction Medicine (ASAM) article, “The Relevance of 12-step Recovery in 21st Century Addiction Medicine” they state
“The integration of psycho social rehabilitation and ongoing care with evidence-based pharmacological therapy provides the best results.”
Alcohol Detox Panama City Beach Can Get Your Life Back
Hopefully our alcohol detox Panama City Beach, Florida article has taught you not to take alcohol detoxification lightly. We have explained many of the life-threatening situations that can arise. We have also explained some of the FDA approved medications available to drastically reduce alcohol withdrawal symptoms.
One of the most important things you will learn from our alcohol detox Panama City Beach program is relapse prevention strategies. Embedded into this is getting engaged and understanding the 12-steps. During the recovery process at our rehabilitation center these valuable tools will help you sustain long-term recovery.
We are one of the most respected addiction treatment programs in the United States. Our qualified doctors and credentialed substance abuse counselors carefully guide you through the process. The toughest step you have to make is the first one. Give our inpatient drug rehabs Panama City Beach addiction treatment center a call at (850) 588-4426. Once you reach out for help it gets easier every day. Before you know it, you are back on track and are enjoying a happy and healthy life.